Director of Children’s Ministry
Job Description: Director of Children’s Ministry
Location: Beulah Missionary Church / 57595 Old County Road 17 / Goshen, IN 46528Job Title: Director of Children’s Ministry
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Classification: Part-time (20 hours), Exempt
Job Description and Responsibilities:
PURPOSE: The Director of Children’s Ministry (henceforth, DCM) is part of the ministry staff with a passion for discipling children. The ideal candidate senses a call to children’s ministry and has some education and/or experience to validate that call. He or she will be responsible for the oversight of all programs, activities, and educational aspects related to Children’s Ministry at Beulah Missionary Church, birth through fifth grade (Beulah Kids, henceforth, BK). Specifically the DCM is responsible for the staffing and implementation of Children’s Sunday School, Sunday Morning Children’s Worship (elementary and pre-K); Sunday & Wednesday Nursery (and other times, as needed); and Wednesday Night Programming (elementary & pre-K).
COMPETENCIES & EXPECTATIONS:
- A growing relationship with Jesus Christ as evidenced by action, attitude and behavior.
- Must fully embrace the vision, values, and statement of faith of the Missionary Church and
Beulah Missionary Church.
- A passion for ministry to children.
- Should demonstrate spiritual gifts of leadership, teaching, and administration, or other related
- Be a reliable, trustworthy, self-starter, who is excellent at following through on details.
- Possess the ability to embrace innovation and creativity in order to adapt to growth and change.
- Possess the ability to use appropriate judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and confidentiality.
- Demonstrate leadership skills utilizing a cooperative, collaborative team leadership style.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain healthy and
motivating relationships with supervisors, coworkers, and volunteers.
- Must demonstrate absolute confidence in confidential matters.
- Must submit to and pass all necessary background checks.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
(The following percentages are offered only as a general framework)
o The DCM will spend approximately 45% of his/her time building and leading teams to
accomplish the work of BK. This will include recruiting, developing, and training volunteers and fostering a spirit of teamwork among BK volunteers.
• Hands-On Ministry
o The DCM will spend approximately 45% of his/her time personally
preparing/leading/teaching/overseeing BK discipleship programs (such as Wednesday Night, Sunday School, or Children’s Worship).
• Other Ministry
o The DCM will spend approximately 10% of his/her time attending to other duties related to
the overall ministry of the church (staff meetings, staff relations, Board reports, etc.).
• Specific BK Responsibilities – In order to give a perspective on some specific responsibilities of the DCM, the following is a representative list of some of the functions that will compose this position.
o Recruit, train, and set direction for BK Adult Leadership Team.
o Oversee the selection and implementation of curriculum and programming for BK.
o Ensure all age-level ministries are effectively staffed and operational.
o Develop communications to keep staff, volunteers, and parents informed.
o Oversee all safety and security processes for BK in cooperation with the church’s safety and
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Must have earned, or be in process of earning, a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
• Reports to Senior Pastor.
o DCM will participate in an initial 90-day Employee Performance Review and subsequent
- Participates in weekly staff meetings led by Senior Pastor, or regular meetings with Senior
Pastor, if schedule precludes participation in weekly staff meeting.
- Participation in all-staff functions (i.e. staff retreat, training, team-building experiences).
- Supervises and directs Children’s Ministry volunteers.
- Visible and available on Sunday morning before and after Sunday School to greet and welcome
current and new families with children.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of this ministry opportunity and level of work to be performed by an employee in this position. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by an employee ministering in this position. Requirements are representative of minimum level of knowledge, skills, and/or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Revised February 27, 2019
How to Apply
To apply, send a resume to Senior Pastor, Rev. Earl Smith: firstname.lastname@example.org.